Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Orange & Avocado Salad flavored with one of the authentic flavors of Provence - Pastis



We keep a bottle of Pernod on hand so we can use a splash of its citrusy anise flavor in seafood from time to time to give it a Mediterranean twist and a taste of Provence. Pernod’s licorice flavor also pairs well with tomatoes and shellfish, such as mussels and shrimp. In the south of France Pernod is sipped as an aperitif called pastis. Typically waiters bring small glasses of Pernod on a tray to your table with a pitcher of cold water for diluting the strong green liqueur, making it turn cloudy and yellow.



Pastis is very popular aperitif in France, especially in Provence in the summer when it’s hot. Among the people of Provence there are strong feelings as to what brand they prefer. Some insist that the Ricard label is the authentic one from Marseilles; others favor Pernod. Pastis emerged following the ban on absinthe and its popularity may be due to the appetite of the Mediterranean countries for anise liqueurs, such as Greek ouzo and Italian sambuca (better known by the trade name Gillanno). As an aperitif, I personally think its licorice flavor is an acquired taste, but I really like to cook with it in some seafood dishes.


So you can certainly understand why I was excited to see a recipe for an orange and avocado salad in which the oranges were steeped in pastis in Sarah Leah Chase’s delightful little cookbook Pedaling through Provence. I had never thought of using Pernod as a marinade for oranges. Of course you could substitute ouzo or sambuca if you like. If you don’t want liqueur in your salad, you could certainly leave it out altogether. The salad would still be terrific. This salad is also very versatile throughout the year. In the winter blood oranges or clementines could be substituted for the naval oranges which I’ve used below. Although the recipe didn’t call for it, I’ve also crumbled feta cheese on top, which I thought would add even more flavor.

Orange and Avocado salad flavored with authentic flavors of Provence - Pastis
Adapted from Pedaling through Provence by Sarah Lee Chase – Serves 4

4 Naval oranges, peel, pith, and any seeds removed, thinly sliced
1/3 cup anise flavored liqueur, such as Pernod or Ricard
1/3 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 to 3 drops hot sauce, such as Tabasco
Coarse salt to taste (I like French fleur de sel or Maldon sea salt)
2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
1/3 cup imported black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
Crumbled feta cheese to taste

Toss the sliced oranges and Pernod together in a glass bowl and let marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but not longer than three hours. Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and hot sauce. Season with salt.

To assemble individual salads: Place one fourth of the sliced macerated oranges at the top of each of the four salad plate. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits and skin. Slice each avocado half lengthwise into thin slices and fan the slices from each half onto one of four salad plates just below the oranges. Drizzle the olive oil-lime vinaigrette over the slices. Top each salad with a sprinkling of the olives and a few crumbles of feta cheese. Serve at once. Makes 4 servings.


I’ve entered my delicious Orange, Avocado, Feta Cheese salad with the flavors of Provence in Lazaro Cook’s Morning, Noon and Night Quickies Challenge. Click Lazaro Cook’s to see the details and the deadline of the challenge so you can participate too. I’ll see you there.

49 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Seriously, I love this salad. I have got to find some Pernod though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious -- though I'm not so sure about the anise flavor. I'm good with licorice candy but I don't know that I'd go out of my way to look for the Pernod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so refreshing! Another recipe, that I am adding to my stash of "have to tries"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so "Provencal" with your Pernod flavored salad!
    I want to make this for sure!
    I love oranges w/ avocado. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting post and salad. It looks so good, very fresh! Funny, I just finished a book that took place in France in a Champagne winery, and one of the main characters was drinking pastis, and i was wondering what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I used Pernod for the first time recently when I made Ina Garten's scallops. Now I must try your salad. Loved Provence and love Sarah Leah Chase's recipes.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous blend of flavors! Your salad is gorgeous! A perfect summer dish.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about absinthe, pastis and pernod - I bet it adds a nice twist to the orange and avocado flavors...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sam - that salad is a flavor-feast. Will do some tonight - half with Pernod and half without. Staring happily at some oranges and avocados. I love produce season! Makes me feel as if I dwell in Provence. And if I cannot muster a trip to the south of France, you help me cook like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I yet to taste the flavors of some of the french aspertif's so I can only imagine the great flavor it adds, since I love adding a splash of wine to things!

    That salad my dear has me running to the kitchen to cut up yet another avo! and you know I love my orange and olives. Hubby is not a big fan, but he can pick his out :)

    Nice close up shot! I am off to buy another camera, so maybe my light box days are finally over :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never used Pernod but love the flavors of Provence. This salad looks and sounds delicious. I was completely unaware that Sarah Leah Chase had a cookbook on Provence. I have two of her cookbooks--both from Nantucket--that we use a lot. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fantastic entry into the Quickies Challenge. Perfect use of Pernod. I am a big fan of cooking with it as well. Thank you for all your support, Sam.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Divine. Would love to to link up to my Whatcha Cooking Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam, I've never really thought about the flavors of citrus with avocado, but it sounds great! Thanks for the recipe, and good luck in the contest!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sam, I've had a bottle of Pernod and also one of Calvados for close to 30 years now. It's good to have another dish in which the Pernod can be used. The salad is just lovely. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love the anise notes that I know this salad must have, besides the salty feta will be a perfect foil for all that sweet. So delicious looking. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  17. This salad looks lovely. What interesting flavors! I love that you added hot sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to use Pernod when cooking - I am a big fan of the licorice-y taste. I make a Pink Grapefruit Sorbet that has Pernod in it - it tastes delcious and refreshing with the grapefruit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have managed to cover each and every craving my palate has...sweet, salty, slightly bitter, sour..not to mention all the lovely textures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My partner and I drink gallons of Pernod in summer. Never quite acquired a taste for Ricard. Love the look of that salad - it's so original! And it ticks all the boxes: the combination of sweet and salty, with the pastis... I MUST try this.
    Robynx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely salad! I like the addition of Pernod! We really like this avocado and feta combo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've used Pernod in bouillabaisse, and have loved it. This liqueuer truly adds another flavor dimension that cannot be achieved by another.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sam,
    This salad look so delicious. I showed your posting to Mama and she said it made her hungry. Great posting. I just may try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think I've ever tried Pernod, but have a little bottle of ouzo that I brought back from Greece that would work. What a lovely salad, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow this salad looks amazing I do a blog for a FL citrus grower could I add to their blog and link to you?

    Rebecca

    rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanky ou Sam, I have guests for dinner tonight and am coming home at 7 pm ... I bought two avocados this mornign and have the rest of the ingredients in teh fridge .. this is going to be my appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks and sounds wonderful! I just need to find some pernod. I do have a small bottle of ouzo...as Cathy said, I may try it using my ouzo!
    I spent my childhood in south Arkansas also. El Dorado, Crossett, and Monticello!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Le pastis! You know I was born in the south of France, so I drank pastis even when I was little. My grandparents would place a teaspoon for me in a large glass of limonade (not lemonade, but French limonade which is like Sprite.) We had many brands, Pernod, Ricard, Berger, le Pastis de Provence which is made by Dugas, le Pastis 51, Girard and many others. Do you know that you can get pastis that is not yellow, but white, and also some blue. It is a popular drink in France – about 130 million liters are consumed per year, which is about 2 liters per inhabitant! They make a white pastis in California called Charbay Pastis (http://www.charbay.com/category.aspx?categoryID=648.) I like to drink my pastis with some grenadine in it, which is called “une tomate.” Some people place crème de menthe in it and they call it “un perroquet” (a parrot.) Your salad looks good and must smell good too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh, oooh, oooh! Fancy Schmancy! would you believe I've never tried Pernod. You just gave me the perfect excuse. Love avocado and oranges together!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That certainly looks like a lovely summer salad. I'm not sure about the Pernod. That is not my favorite. I think I would use orange liquor instead.
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such an intriquing flavor combination. You've got me thinking what other fruits I might "season" in liqueurs.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sam, monamie, tu as préparé une vraie salade de chef avec un mélange de saveurs sucré/salé qui me plait beaucoup.
    J'espère que tu gagneras.
    A bientĂ´t.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brilliant idea... and yes, never would have thought of pernod with a salad. I have absinthe... will try this today.. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for coming with me to "Mitford". It was a fun trip! It has been almost ten years since I was there.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Sam, I have always loved this salad. But never in a million years would have thought to marinate the oranges in pernod.
    Sarah is brilliant, isn't she? I adore her books!
    This looks so good, I'm going to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have read this book before,long time ago. I need to read it again after seeing your delicious selection.I love the marinade....you brought the fruit to life!

    ReplyDelete
  37. beautiful salad, great flavors and colors...good luck in the contest..

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you Sam for bringing a little piece of paradise back to me. Hubby and I were within the Provence region last September (a glorious time to be there) and had the pleasure of experiencing the real 'Gourmet' lifestyle.
    About your recipe: What a lovely and light treat. We've been getting some really great avocados lately...and the navel oranges are still being imported in from the States. The only thing I was wondering was...do you think using Italian 'Sambuca' would be too sweet in your recipe?
    Thanks for sharing and flavourful wishes, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  39. I LOVE bold flavors like this! Adding the cheese rounds it out too - great idea! What a beautiful salad for this time of year - a great, original "starter!"

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is a great idea! This is the perfect recipe for a meal on a hot afternoon in the shade, perfect refreshing!
    And now Ihave a reason to crack open that bottle of Pernod I have!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  41. This sounds delicious Sam. We like Sambucca but we've never tried Pastis. I will look for Pernord the next time I buy liquor and try it, both as a liquor and as a marinade.

    I didn't buy anyhting on Rodeo Drive although I was very tempted. I had only a carry on luggage and sadly no room for anything else, much to the delight of my husband who was happy not to pay a large charge bill! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh Sam, what a nice combination of flavors...love the way you presented...so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I haven't tasted Pastis...I don't think I have anyway. Your salad is beautiful. I love the vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oops! Pernod, not pastis! ;D Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This would be a treat on any day. The flavors seem to set each other off as does the total look have a balance to cause it to be so appealing. Hubby is not an avocado fan but all my kids are so this can be successfully served. Thanks.

    Please stop by my blog. There is something waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I was familiar with shrimp and other seafood with pastis or similar liqueur but not with salad, least of all, oranges! Now I am so intrigued I want to try it! Maybe with arak , which is our lebanese equivalent of pastis. Sounds splendid, espe with the olives!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This salad looks cool, freshing, and delicious Sam! Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ooooooh, I have the orange and the avocado, just need the Pernod...This looks so bright and beautiful and delicous! thank you.

    ReplyDelete